Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Hello, World.

The title of this post is a reference to a Tiger Woods quote at one of his first professional tournament appearances. Nike said it wasn't planned but they just so happened to have an ad waiting that, shockingly, worked well with his first comment.

I'll give you a minute now....



After the jump, I explain how the only thing Tiger and I have in common is that we're both bad at Wii.



So aside from the fact that this is a provocative and well done ad, it seemed a little contrived of Nike to pretend like this wasn't all a media stunt, especially given nobody believed them. What's important, was that it didn't matter then, and it doesn't matter now. Tiger Woods still became and remains a Cash Cow for Nike.



I bring this up because at the moment, I would define myself as the exact opposite of a cash cow. My current weekly income is 0. In fact it is less than that because I went to Potbelly's for lunch today (Wreck on White, no "Big" size because I ate breakfast).


Every week the government sends me a paycheck. But I hardly consider this income. I consider it more the government's way of saying "I think you've played a little bit too much XBOX today, Danny." And in fairness to the government, this is both true and false, because I only recently purchased an XBOX. So one could assume there are people who have been both A) unemployed longer than I have and B) have had XBOX for a longer period of time while remaining unemployed.

In the spirit of my new found free time (read: XBOX time), I have decided to start up with a little blogging again. Don't worry- my first blog, "Things 21 year old White Fraternity Kids Like," still resides on my hard drive if there was a post you want to read again. Considering my readership I think was anywhere from 4-7 unique visitors in the year it was active, I don't think that will be an issue.

The topics I write about will be varied but all fall under the realm of things I've learned without having a job. I will try to write about kind of details that would escape a normal person who during the hours of 8-5 is putting up the facade of being a contributing member of society. For instance, did you know that Daytime TV is awful, and the Sunset Foods in Northbrook is packed at noon? But hopefully, the stuff I write about will never as boring as the two aforementioned facts. It will be mostly about how the things I encounter in my casual life relate back to larger ideas. Like for instance, while watching Tiger Woods play Wii live on TV, I thought about how the marketing people at EA Sports were probably cringing as their video game cover boy lost badly at his own game to Jimmy Fallon. While it does not surprise me in the least that Jimmy Fallon is good at video games, in Tiger's defense, I suppose it's hard to find time to play Wii when you are busy being the GREATEST GOLFER EVER.

For the time being, you can access plenty of my writing here, and over at twitter, where I keep my twitter finger ready at all times at twitter.com/whiteflyte.

Being as how this is more of an introductory post, check back in the future for updates on what I've learned without having a job (aside from the fact that whoever owns the syndication rights to "Saved by the Bell" is probably partying with Johnny Dakota right now).

That's all for now. Don't sweat the technique.

I'm reading: Hello, World.Tweet this!

No comments:

Post a Comment