Thursday, August 20, 2009

Goin, Goin, Back, Back

Last year at this time I probably had some sort of facebook status about how I was sad I wasn't going back to Champaign. This year, all the 2009 graduates have those statuses. And that's pretty normal.

Except for the Northwestern grads- that's a nerdy school to want to spend more time at.



Having spent more than a year out of school, I've realized life does go on. I miss college, but I certainly don't miss Champaign or its smell. I'll probably never live as close to all my friends again, and I'll probably never do as little work as I did senior year of college and still pretend like I was a productive member of society (when your biggest concern is memorizing different types of watermelons for your vegetable gardening exam, you're not a productive member of society).

But this is isn't necessarily a bad thing. People grow up. When I went back to school last year and saw the condition of the house I lived in senior year, I realized maybe I put that part of my life behind me (this could also be attributed to the fact that the kids who lived there at the time had ripped up a couch and chose not to replace it because "they weren't going to be there much longer"; it was January).

So yes, 2009 graduates, you'll get over the not-going-back-to-college blues too.

Or maybe, you'll lose your job, spend all day writing for an asinine blog, apply for jobs, go to the cleaners, hassle your other unemployed friends into getting lunch with you, play frisbee golf, look for Jordans (not fakes) online, not shave, argue with Finish Line employees and shop for sweat shorts so it's really a crap shoot.

But even without a job, I'm realizing I still wouldn't want to be back in Champaign. I thought about this when a friend of mine called to tell me he was playing basketball with DJ Richardson at the AEPI house in Champaign

A few thoughts went through my head at this moment.

1- If somebody from AEPI injures Illinois' top 2009 recruit, they're going to have a lot of explaining to do to me (I imagine DJ Richardson will probably have a lot of explaining to do to Bruce Weber also, but I digress).
2- Aren't the basketball players banned from this kind of behavior? The answer is obviously yes, and I know this because Brian Carlwell told me when I asked him how his flag football team was doing.
3. Why did a top 50 national recruit feel like he needed to prove his dominance against my slow, white jewish friends?

(For the record, I was told he looked dominant, which is a good thing.)

And for about 5-10 seconds, I thought how I'd like to be down there. But there comes point, even for me, where doing nothing and getting excited over watching 18 year old Peoria natives play basketball is not as appealing as it seems.

So to all of my friends entering their senior years in champaign, have fun and go easy on DJ Richardson.

And to all of my friends entering the real world, trust me, be glad you're not still in Champaign.

I'm reading: Goin, Goin, Back, BackTweet this!

No comments:

Post a Comment