Friday, August 21, 2009

Tighten up...Not you Horace

Yesterday was the first time I've been in a Fantasy Football league where we didn't have a live draft. No offense to ESPN's wonderful flash application, but it just wasn't the same.





Sure, you can virtually make fun of your friends in a chat room but it's not the same. The jokes don't hit as hard. The laughter isn't as real. No one really gets mad when the player they want goes one pick early. My friend taking Hank Baskett in the last round wasn't as funny as it could have been. Sure, it's kind of funny when the clock runs out and auto draft grabs somebody an extra quarterback, but it's forced comedy.

But without a job, I promise you, I will be one of the most committed fantasy football commissioners there is. Weekly updates? Sure. Ragging on Freedman's team for no good reason? Always. Vetoing trades just because I have LM privileges? Of course. Making sure my friend NSJ lives up to his reputation as worst fantasy player ever? A must.

This is going to be a short post. I went to Buffalo Joe's with an old friend for lunch and subsequently I feel like I could have a coronary at any moment. I know this doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement for Buff Joe's, but I promise you, it was worth it.

-Two thumbs up for Ryan Freedman still being able to draft while being in Boston. Sure, you internet was Michael J. Fox shaky (Stop it) but you still made it there, which is what counts. Yes, we'll go to Kuma's when you come home; stop asking now.

-One thumb up for Bears preseason football at home this Saturday. Cutler under threw receivers in training camp, then he did in Buffalo too. Not an ideal start for savior. Also, week two of the "Rashied Davis getting cut from the Bears watch" is in effect.

-Two thumbs down on the Finish Line not ordering the shoes I requested and not telling me until three weeks later. "How to lose a loyal customer" is being taught by Adam from the Finish Line on weekdays from 9-5 at Old Orchard.

-Two thumbs up for two nights of Pearl Jam, this Sunday and Monday. I already like the two new tracks more than anything of the last album.

-Two thumbs up on the continued commitment to this blog. Over 2000 page visits. I'm sure most of these are probably by the same group of readers, and I'm sure I'm responsible for like 1/4 of those visits but I'm still grateful to those of you who read this thing and either leave comments or tell me you enjoy it.

I've tried to commit myself to writing on this everyday and I've noticed a few things in the process. First, writing everyday is hard. It's even harder when I'm trying to write something I think people might enjoy. And even harder to make it funny. So if my pace slows down a bit, I apologize.

The longer I stay without a job, the longer I begin to experience the same jobless emotions. This means I end up with recycled ways of making the same points, and I'm trying hard to avoid that.

So take the good with the bad, and know the best has yet to come with this blog.

From Ashy 2 Classy people.

"When I get in, I gotta make something happen"- Cliff Levingston

I'm reading: Tighten up...Not you HoraceTweet this!

3 comments:

  1. I know this is sacrilegious to say but:

    Thumbs down to Buff Joes. Since when did a double order of suicide wings and a beer cost nearly $20? Granted in high school I was forced against my will to skip the beer, but there was still no way I was throwing that kind of money around on a constant basis. Secondly the wing size is way smaller than what Big Wing has forced me to come to understand as the national average (probably due to 4 years of only having a BW3 within reasonable distance). Still tasty but lacked the punch I remember from the glory days. Perhaps it was years of exageration as the best wings ever, but I was quite underwhelmed.

    Thumbs up goto Kelly's Bar wings on Wednesdays. 10 cent wings? Come on! They too are the small variety, but there is something to be said for laying down a 10 dollar bill and receiving 100 wings in return. While not everybody's favorite, I happen to like em, and let me tell you, nothing goes better with 100 wings then a $1 cheese burger across the street at McGees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're definitely getting more expensive (my meal today was $12.09, which is less than BW3) but so is everywhere.

    The wings are still real good, albeit not as good as I remember.

    Basically, there are a lot of places to get wings, which makes driving to Evanston for them seem silly, but with infrequent trips, Buff Joe's is still pretty good.

    -I should mention I'm not getting kickbacks from them, but for free meals I'll plug the hell out of them. We're not above corporate sponsorships at the Unemployed Dream headquarters (err...my room).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not above saying what I said and then going with you for a free meal.

    ReplyDelete