Monday, August 24, 2009

We got the means the make amends

Busy weekend, a lot to get through and I didn't even see the Bears game so you don't have to worry about my thoughts on the Devins.





The award for worst song everybody loves and I hate goes to...

-"I gotta feeling," by the Black Eyed Peas. Congrats. You somehow made it popular to bastardize saying Mazel Tov. Vegas had the odds of "Entourage" ruining that phrase at 2:5 so I'd call this a minor upset. Now admittedly, I've never been much of a fan of their music, but whenever I think the Black Eyed Peas have become 2000 and late, they find a way to reinvent themselves. "Let's get retarded" should have been a career ending song. Instead it made them an international sensation, so what do I know. I don't want to think about how many times I heard this song this weekend.

Loudest music in a bar that shouldn't have had such loud music goes to..

-Lemming's...or maybe it was Cleo's. I'm not sure. In any event, your music was too loud. Just giving you the heads up.

Best decision to have "The Super Bowl Shuffle" on a jukebox and serve free pretzels goes to...

-Ed and Jean's on Armitage. If the free pool brings them in, the free pretzels seals the deal. The pacman machine was a nice touch also. Maybe the greatest discovery of this weekend.

Most curious conversation choice goes to...

-Two anonymous friends of mine who argued about their brands and colors of jeans for twenty minutes this past weekend. Rather than explain the argument, I'll just provide a few choice quotes and let you make up a story in your head.

"Umm...it's called light and dark."

"I used to wear Levi's too when I was 12 and my mom picked my clothes out for me at Kohl's."

"You think they're going to let us in tonight with your jeans on?"

"I'll look better in $30 jeans than you will ever look."

What's important to note is that this argument taught me that Levi's has some super expensive offerings and that my friends are paying far more attention to what jeans I wear than I initially thought.

Worst business decision goes to...

The 10 Club, Pearl Jam's fan club. I don't how you did it, but you managed to screw up giving out seats by fan club seniority. There were a lot of upset fan club members in the 300 level last night (fortunately, I was not one) and that doesn't seem like a good reason to join the fan club.

Best business decision goes to...

Pearl Jam, by making up for that error by playing a killer show. Some of the diehards online were upset with the lack of any rarities, but I'd say two Who covers and one Neil Young cover made up for this a bit. I can't imagine how they're going to try to top that tonight, but I know I'll probably need earplugs for it.

Best ice cream related decision goes to...

My friend David, who left the show during "Insignificance" to use the bathroom and came back with an enormous vanilla ice cream filled waffle cone. I don't think this is going to cease being funny for a while.

Most disappointing Chicagoan goes to...

-The guy in front of me at Billy Goat, who tried (and failed) to order cheese fries for like five minutes. It's a good thing we were not at the original location. He wouldn't have done well for himself there.

Most likely to have never seen "PCU" goes to...

The bar Hawkeye's and all of its guests. In case you don't know, "PCU" is an entirely forgettable early 90's college movie that is only memorable for two things- a George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelic performance of "erotic city" and for informing the masses that it isn't cool to wear a t-shirt of the band you're going to see in concert. So needless to say, you can imagine my amusement in walking in to a bar filled with people in Pearl Jam shirts, and the bar actively deciding to only play Pearl Jam before the show, at one point going as far as to turn off a rap song so they could play "Daughter" again.

Greatest decision to enter the world of social media goes to...

Myself. Since starting my twitter feed, I have won a $10 gift certificate to Superdawg, and as of this morning, I have been informed I won a Kevin Garnett autographed shoe. Who needs regular employment when you have a sneaker and a free hot dog?

Pearl Jam night two in 7 1/2 hours. Drop the leash.


I'm reading: We got the means the make amendsTweet this!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this quote sums up the Black Eyed Peas quite nicely:

    "The new Black Eyed Peas song is the stupidest shit I've heard since the last Black Eyed Peas song."

    http://twitter.com/TFLN/status/3494993395

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, i didn't get a chance to read this after the first show, but yea, i was definitely one of the upset 10c members, although the show, and the neil young cover, were incredible

    ReplyDelete